09 August 2010

Zucchini Fries

ZERO POINTS ZERO POINTS ZERO POINTS!!!!!!!!!!!!

4 spray(s) olive oil cooking spray
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning (didn't have this, so I threw some garlic powder and oregano and onion salt in)
1 ½ tablespoons all-purpose flour
¾ teaspoons table salt
¾ cup(s) dried bread crumbs, panko-variety suggested (I used 1 c panko)
2 medium zucchini, about 7-inches each, cut into 4 chunks, then each chunk halved (almost too much--I have extra zucchini slices after I ran out of egg whites and panko)
2 large egg white(s), whipped until frothy (almost soft peaks)

Pre oven
Preheat oven to 425ºF. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray. In a small bowl, mix together Italian seasoning, flour and salt. Place bread crumbs in another small bowl.

Dredge a zucchini fry in flour mixture and then dip into egg whites; dredge in bread crumbs. Place coated zucchini on prepared baking sheet and repeat with remaining ingredients; liberally coat with cooking spray.

Roast, turning once, until desired crispness, about 12 minutes.  (I forgot to turn them, but they still turned out good.) Use this technique with any summer squash or eggplant. It also works great with thick-cut onion rings or even green tomatoes.
Crispier?  Crank oven to 500 degrees and decrease time by 2 minutes. (I did it this way--YUM!)
Post oven
I got 24 slices of zucchini.  DID I MENTION THAT EACH SERVING IS ZERO POINTS?!?!?!  
AWESOME!!! 
YUMYUMYUMYUM!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love when people comment!!! Good, bad, or even ugly--feel free to leave a comment and I will do my best to respond!