02 August 2010

Experimenting...Turkey Meatballs

I had only 9.5 points left for the day, and I wasn't in the mood for a SmartOnes. So I plugged in turkey, bread, and beans into the WW recipe suggestion builder, and got a meatball recipe.  
Sounded good, but then I got lazy, and L got home, and I didn't have zucchini.  So, we tweaked the recipe, and L, being the amazing Italian man that he is, added his culinary skills to the sauce we made...Eventually I will want to try the recipe with all the veggies, but this was delicious and filling, AND I have a giant amount of leftovers! YAY!

Original Recipe from WW Online:

3/4 lbs. ground turkey
3 Tbsps dried bread crumbs
1 egg white lightly beaten
2 Tbsps. parsely
2 Tbsps. fresh dill, chopped
1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
1 tsp. lemon zest
4 tsp. olive oli
1 med. zucchini (8 oz) chopped
1 med. onion chopped
1 medium bell pepper chopped
28 oz. canned tomatoes, whole plum, chopped with their juice
10 oz frozen green beans thawed
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
Directions:

Combine the turkey, bread crumbs, egg white, parsley, dill, mustard, and lemon zest in a large bowl. Shape into 20 meatballs.
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Swirl in the oil, then add the meatballs. Cook, turning frequently, until browned on all sides, about 6 minutes. Transfer to a heatproof plate with a slotted spoon; keep warm.
Return the skillet to the heat and add the zucchini, onion, and green bell pepper; sauté until wilted, about 5 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, beans, salt, and black pepper; bring to a simmer. Add the meatballs to the sauce; simmer, partially covered, frequently spooning the sauce over the meatballs, until the meatballs are cooked through and tender, 10 minutes. Yields 5 meatballs with 1⁄2 cup sauce per serving

Our tweaks:
1 lb.. ground turkey
3 Tbsps dried bread crumbs
1 egg white lightly beaten
Meatballs in sauce!
2 Tbsps. parsely
2 Tbsps. dill, chopped (we didn't have fresh, so I just used dried)
1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
1 tsp. lemon zest + more--I love lemon zest!
1/2 lemon squeezed into the tomato paste
water (also added to the paste)
1 Tbsp. olive oli
shallot minced
4 garlic cloves chopped
6 oz can tomato paste (L suggested using tomato soup, but I am glad he dug this out of the pantry instead!)
14.5 oz. diced tomatoes with their juice
To taste:
oregano
basil
garlic powder
salt
pepper
Directions:

Combine the turkey, bread crumbs, egg white, parsley, dill, mustard, and lemon zest in a large bowl. Shape into 24 meatballs. 
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Swirl in the oil, then add the shallot and garlic.  Saute, then add the meatballs. Cook, turning frequently, until browned on all sides, about 6 minutes. 
To the pan, add tomatoes, paste + enough lemon juice + water to make a liquidy enough sauce.  Simmer.

I got 24 meatballs (1pt. per meatball!), and the sauce is 4 points TOTAL!!!

After we cooked the gnocchi, L added it to the sauce/meatballs.
We had Trader Joe's potato gnocchi with this, and next time I'd rather have angel hair pasta, but my laziness took over so I didn't make pasta. The meatballs didn't dry out, and they have a fun, fresh flavor with the lemon, dill, and dijon.  YUM!!!! I am FULL!!! 
All together, with sauce, gnocchi, and 4 meatballs, the meal was 6 points!!! AWESOME!!!
My serving! Louie said I should have dished it out on a smaller plate, but I was hungry!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love when people comment!!! Good, bad, or even ugly--feel free to leave a comment and I will do my best to respond!