I know I am getting obsessed here--the fridge is CRAMMED with leftovers from my "projects," but when I saw this recipe on the WW boards this morning, I knew I had to try it...even if I didn't have all the ingredients. I was going to just make 1/2 the recipe, but--I AM a WI girl to my core, so I went forward...probably not the best idea since my tweaks increased the points by 2/serving, but really--the recipe was easy, and I'd totally make this again.
*4 cups uncooked medium elbow macaroni
* 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
* 2 1/4 cups fat-free milk (Ran out of milk at 1 2/3--all I had was 1/2 and 1/2--so, I used 1/3 cup of it. Sigh.)
* 1/4 cup (2 ounces) 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened (+an additional pinch because I was short 1/4 c milk.)
* 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard (+probably more)
* 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
* 1/2 teaspoon bottled minced garlic (+MORE!!)
* 1 1/4 cups (5 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese (I had 1 cup of low-fat Mexican shredded cheese, and then used 1/4 shredded Parmesan cheese).
|The finished product...|
Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain and set aside.
While pasta cooks, place flour, salt, and pepper in a large saucepan. Add milk, stirring with a whisk until well blended. Drop cream cheese by teaspoonfuls into milk mixture; bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat; simmer 2 minutes or until thick and cream cheese melts, stirring occasionally. Stir in mustard, Worcestershire, and garlic; simmer 1 minute. Remove from heat. Add cheddar cheese, stirring until cheese melts. Combine pasta and cheese sauce in a large bowl; toss well.
7 cups=1 cup/serving : 8 points/serving...
DELICIOUS. The Dijon adds an awesome flavor, and easily could be a side dish 1/2 the amount and 1/2 the points. This was really easy to make, and I am satisfied on this cloudy Oregon day!!