26 January 2011

Meatloaf Muffins: Take 2

I tweaked this recipe which impacted the original's point value--this revised point value is AMAZING!!!

Post Oven--the plain are on the left.
Everything together
Diner Meat Loaf 'Muffins'

1 teaspoon olive oil
1 cup finely chopped onion  (I used 1/2 onion)
1/2 cup finely chopped carrot (+more)
1 teaspoon dried oregano 
(+more)
2 garlic cloves, minced  (+more)
1 cup ketchup, divided (I didn't use this much--I used 1/2 C + a squirt on top of 5 muffins)
1 1/2 pounds ground beef, extra lean (raw)  (in the package there is 1.2 lbs. That is what I used)
1 cup finely crushed fat-free saltine crackers (about 20) (I didn't have this ingredient, so I used 1/4 C + 1/8 C of breadcrumbs--Italian seasoned)
2 tablespoons prepared mustard (+MORE--I used stone ground mustard)
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (+a little more)
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 large eggs (I used 1 egg and 2 egg whites)
Cooking spray

Preheat oven to 350°.

Heat the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chopped onion, chopped carrot, dried oregano, and minced garlic; sauté 2 minutes. Cool.

Combine onion mixture, 1/2 cup ketchup, and the remaining ingredients except cooking spray in a large bowl.  (While the mix above was cooling I mixed the turkey in with all the wet ingredients--not the bread crumbs--and pepper to let it soak in some of the flavors)
Spoon the meat mixture into 12 muffin cups coated with cooking spray. Top each with 2 teaspoons ketchup (I only did this for 4, and I didn't measure--I also topped 5 with stone ground mustard, and then left 3 plain). Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until a thermometer registers 160°. Let stand for 5 minutes.


LUNCH!!!

12 muffins 2 pts+/muffin!!!


I REALLY love the flavor of these.  YUM.  I like the bite of the mustard flavor, and the ketsup topped ones have a completely different flavor--AWESOME.  
I will say that these did not hold together as well as the stove-top meatloaf muffins that I made did--but I took some chances as I tweaked this recipe.  Next time I will try to do it with the saltines (and the right amount), and maybe one more egg white? I can't figure out which will help hold it together better.  Overall, the flavor of these ROCK, and I'd like to go eat the other 10 muffins, but I am full after two (I also had carrots and yogurt).  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love when people comment!!! Good, bad, or even ugly--feel free to leave a comment and I will do my best to respond!