28 January 2011

Baked Oatmeal

Thought I'd give this a try after seeing it on the WW boards, and then seeing it on Emily's blog.
I didn't want to make all of this since I will be the only one who eats it, so I halved the recipe--for the most part!
I also tweaked the fruits based on what I had in my house, and I love fruit, so I added even MORE!

Baked Blueberry & Peach Oatmeal
OR-
Baked Blueberry, Apple, and Pear Oatmeal

Source: Emily Bites Blog - adapted from Taste of Home

Ingredients:
3 cups old-fashioned oats   (1 1/2 C)
1/2 cup packed brown sugar  (1/4 C)
Post-baking
2 teaspoons baking powder (1 tsp)
1/2 teaspoon salt  (1/4 tsp kosher)
2 egg whites (1 egg white)
1 egg (1 egg)
1 ¼ cups skim milk (1/2 C + 1/8 C (or 5 oz.) skim milk)
1/4 cup canola oil (1/4 olive oil)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract  (kept this the same)
1 can (15 oz) sliced peaches in water, drained and chopped  (1 pear + 1 apple chopped)
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries  (I had fresh-frozen blueberries and I used almost a full cup)
1/3 cup chopped pecans (Uh...no. YUK)

Directions:
1.Preheat the oven to 350
2.Combine oats, brown sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg whites, egg, oil (or applesauce), milk and vanilla. Add egg mixture to dry ingredients and stir until blended together. Let mixture stand for 5 minutes and then add the blueberries and peaches.
3.Spray an 11” x 7” baking dish with cooking spray and pour the oatmeal mixture into the dish, spreading it evenly. (I put it in a square 8X8)  Sprinkle pecans on top. Bake uncovered at 350 for 35-40 minutes.(20 minutes and checked it, then another 10, then another 10--might have added too much fruit! :D Total time for my recipe in oven = 50 min)

Yields 9 servings.
If you substitute ¼ c of applesauce for the canola oil it would lower the points+. Serving with additional milk would be extra.

I wish I would have had applesauce to reduce the point value!
Total points+ = 41


I cut 6 servings = 7pts+/serving

Close-up on my plate. YUM!
I will definitely make this again (maybe with less fruit!).  Even though it didn't turn out perfectly, I love how it isn't too sweet and it is satisfying.  Yum. It would probably have been more filling had I not been ravenous for breakfast.  So I am drinking a large amount of water with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love when people comment!!! Good, bad, or even ugly--feel free to leave a comment and I will do my best to respond!