21 January 2011

Meal ideas

I have been trying to find ways to keep me full so I am not eating all day long--since I am unemployed and getting more and more frustrated with the situation, the desire to eat all day is growing stronger.  I like to experiment, and have been spending time on the WW message boards (especially the Recipe Review board) to get ideas to try. 

I don't have a problem with repeating meals because if I find something I love (like the crock-pot chicken salsa), I will keep eating it until I am REALLY sick of it.  But the quantity that the recipes make create a hefty amount of leftovers, and I'm generally the only one who eats them, so sometimes repeating meals is inevitable. 

I do try to include a fruit/veggie in every single meal, so I am not cramming my healthy checks in huge amounts during dinner.  A yogurt for lunch takes care of a dairy, and a pear for breakfast gets in one fruit/veggie.  Then I can snack on bananas, apples, carrots throughout the day.  I am much happier when I get in all my healthy checks--especially the healthy oil, so I really make an effort to make sure I am eating GOOD foods. 

Mind you, on Wednesday I was pretty down and I ate an entire box of Annie's white cheddar shells macaroni and cheese (17 points!) and felt disgustingly horrible about it!!

But I also do well--last night, for dessert, I really wanted to eat about five of my brownies.  Instead, I had 2 brownies (7 pts.), 3 hershey's kisses (caramel filled) (2 pts) microwaved for 30 seconds (warm and gooey and delicious) and added cold 1/8 C cool whip free (0 pt).  OMG delicious! I am irritated that I didn't take a picture of it. 

Here are some of my recent meals that have been successful in keeping me full and happy--and I remembered to take a picture.  
Boca Burger (2 pts) (1 tsp. light mayo (0 pt), 1 tsp. blue cheese crumbles (0 pt), ketchup) on a bagel thin (3 pts.), Perogie (2 pts), and Sweet Potato Quinoa Soup (5 pts) Total: 12 pts.

Improvised Oatmeal (I ran out of milk, and had coconut milk, but wanted to use the rest of the coconut milk I had. 
Improvised Oatmeal: 10 pts.
1/2 c oats
MANY shakes of cinnamon
1/4 c canned pumpkin
1/4 c light coconut milk
1/4 c skim milk
1/4 c golden raisins
1 TBSP brown sugar

Mix everything BUT the raisins and sugar, and microwave for 45 seconds.  Then add raisins and brown sugar and microwave for another 45 seconds.
Stir. 
This is super hearty, filling, creamy, flavorful, and awesome.  This is coming from someone who used to HATE everything about oatmeal.  Now, it is a favorite--especially with the dreary weather we have right now. 

Crock Pot Chicken Salsa, 1 Tortilla, salad with mandarin oranges, 1 apple, spinach, and poppy-seed dressing

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love when people comment!!! Good, bad, or even ugly--feel free to leave a comment and I will do my best to respond!