17 January 2011

Sweet Potato Quinoa Soup

Of Deliciousness... YUM

Hearty, interesting, and yummy in my tummy.  Of course, the day I make this the sun is out and it stopped raining for the first time in a week.  This will be a recipe I make again.  Thanks to A Veggie Venture for the suggestion/motivation!

Look how pretty this is!! YUM!
SWEET POTATOES
Water to cover
1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled and diced small  (I cut mine in bigger chunks)

QUINOA
1 medium onion, diced
2 tablespoons water (or more as needed)

1/2 cup (88g) quinoa (I used red quinoa)
3 cups vegetable broth (I used low-sodium chicken broth)

1 cup coconut milk, light or regular (I used light from Trader Joe's)
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (I did not add this)
1/4 teaspoon chili powder (I did not add this)
Salt & pepper to taste

For garnish and contrast, sour cream or plain yogurt or keffir or something similar (omit for a vegan soup) (Did not do this.)

SWEET POTATOES In a saucepan with a cover, combine the water and sweet potatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a slow simmer and let simmer until the sweet potatoes are fully cooked but not so cooked as to break apart.

QUINOA In a large pot or Dutch oven, cook the onion in the water until soft. Add the quinoa and broth, cover and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to maintain a slow simmer, let simmer until the quinoa is cooked, about 15 minutes.

COMBINE Stir the sweet potatoes into the quinoa. With an immersion blender, blend until a bit thicker, leaving some recognizable bits of sweet potato. (You could also use a blender, if so, leave out some of the sweet potato pieces, they really do help the appearance.--I did this, but the color of my soup was fine and didn't need to leave out the chunks-I wish I hadn't.) Stir in the coconut milk and spices and warm through again. Taste and season with salt and pepper to taste.

SERVE To serve, top with a dollop of sour cream or yogurt.(I had mine plain. YUM!!)
Yummy 1 C individual serving!

5 cups/ 1 C/serving 5pts+ per serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love when people comment!!! Good, bad, or even ugly--feel free to leave a comment and I will do my best to respond!