01 January 2011

Delicious Salad of Awesome

Got this recipe from my Great-Aunt's daughter when she had me, my mom, and my great-aunt over for dinner shortly after gramma passed.
I made the vinaigrette yesterday, and now I wish I would have had this instead of all the fatty cheesey-ness last night.  This was just YUMMY and satisfying, and I don't have a gut-ache after eating a HUGE plate full!!

Heaven
My version (I will include details of the original immediately after!)

1/2 c sugar
1/3 C apple cider vinegar
2 TBSP fresh lemon juice + extra
1 TBSP shallot finely chopped  + extra
1/2 tsp kosher salt
2/3 C olive oil (I would probably do less next time)
2-3 tsp. poppy seeds (holy crap these are expensive! Yummy, but expensive!!)
**UPDATE**
There is about 1 cup of liquid=about 60 teaspoons=One serving is about 4 teaspoons.
=Each serving is 3 Pointsplus.
*****
1 bag romaine lettuce
1 bag baby spinich

1 med fuji apple
dump of dried cranberries/pomegranates (from Trader Joe's)

Mix sugar, vinegar, lemon juice, onion, and salt.  Add poppy seeds.  Put all salad stuff together, drizzle with vinaigrette, and eat!  YUM!

Notes:
I poured everything into a large canning jar to mix whenever I wanted to.  It is fun to see the separation and then shake it up to mix it!  There is MUCH vinaigrette left over, and I think this will last a LONG time.
Shaken!

Not shaken!


Original:
1/2 C sugar
1/3 C apple cider vinegar (or red wine vinegar)
2 TBSP fine chopped onion
2 TBSP lemon juice
1/2 tsp salt
2/3 C vegetable oil
1-3 tsp poppy seeds

10 c romaine
cheese (Parmesan)

1 med apple
1 pear (I wanted to include pears, but mine weren't ripe enough yet)
1/4 c dried cranberries
cashews (YUK to these)

Mix sugar, vinegar, lemon juice, onion, and salt.  Add poppy seeds. In a salad bowl, put cranberries, pear, apple, and cheese and drizzle with dressing (8-10 servings).

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love when people comment!!! Good, bad, or even ugly--feel free to leave a comment and I will do my best to respond!