22 February 2011

Two Tweaked WW Recipes: Chili-Mac & Glazed Pear Muffins

Made these recipes this afternoon.
I am going to just put the recipe I used rather than the original.  I halved the recipe and left out the 4 oz. green chili peppers (I can't deal with spicy) and the 2 tsp chili powder (didn't have it).  If you want the originals, check out the WW recipe section.  Or, I will make it easy for you:  Chili Mac & Glazed Pear Muffins. You are welcome.

Chili-Mac
1 tsp olive oil
1/2 onion chopped
9.6 oz. ground turkey breast

1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes (undrained)
Chili-Mac done cooking!
1 1/4 C V8 low sodium
1/2 + 1/4 C salad macaroni (I didn't have elbow mac)
1 can white northern beans (I didn't have pinto beans)

Heat olive oil. Add onions, cook until translucent.  Add ground turkey.  Cook about 10 minutes.
Stir in can of tomatoes (and the juice!), V8, and seasonings (I used a teeny bit of cumin and mustard powder). Bring to a boil.
Stir in macaroni and beans, return to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until mac is tender--about 15 minutes.

Each serving is 1 C.
5 C total.
6pts+/serving

I served mine with a 1/4 C shredded cheese (which added 3 pts+).

Total=9pts+  Not too shabby!
It needed salt and pepper, and I actually with I would have had chili powder. It was slightly bland, but the cheese really helped.  It is hearty and filling, and I liked it--but would add more seasoning next time (and garlic).

Glazed Pear Muffins
2 large pears with skin
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon (I didn't measure--there is probably more in my muffins)
1/4 C granulated sugar
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
Pre-glaze, post-oven.
1/2 C ff sour cream
1 egg (beaten)
1 tsp vanilla
1/3 C skim milk
2 C flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 C powdered sugar
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp vanilla
1 TBSP warm water + a few more drips

Preheat oven to 375 and coat a 12 hole muffin tin with spray.
Core and chop pears into tiny cubes and place into a large bowl.  Add cinnamon, granulated sugar,and lemon juice to pears. Gently stir and set aside.
In a small bowl, whisk together sour cream, beaten egg, 1 tsp. vanilla, and milk.  Set aside.
In a large bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
Make a well with a spoon in the center of the flour mixture.
Post-glaze, post-oven.
Pour in sour cream mixture and fruit mixture, alternating in small batches; mix until barely blended. Do not over-mix.  The batter will be very thick.
Drop batter into prepared muffin holes.  Bake until tops are golden 30-35 minutes (it took mine 30 minutes).  Removed from oven and cool for 5 minutes in muffin pan.  Remove from pan onto wire rack to cool completely.  (I glazed mine while they were still warm.)
While muffins are cooling, make glaze.
Mix together powdered sugar, ginger, 1/4 tsp. vanilla, and warm water in a bowl.  (Add another tsp. of water if glaze is still too thick.)
Drizzle glaze over muffins. 
 
12 muffins
3pts+/muffin

Yummy.
The original recipe calls for 1/2 C granulated sugar and regular sour cream. My recipe shaves off a FULL POINT PER MUFFIN.  I rock.  These are really good.  I would even consider leaving off the glaze next time because the pears are awesome in this chewy delicious muffin.  YUMMY!!!

1 comment:

I love when people comment!!! Good, bad, or even ugly--feel free to leave a comment and I will do my best to respond!