06 February 2011

Onion Rings

I forgot that I made these on Superbowl Sunday.
They sucked.  I didn't like them at all.  YUK.  Maybe it is because I didn't have dry mustard?  Either way, I think if I want fried onion rings, I'll save up some points and have REAL ones.
Make sure to use THICK onion slices--the thin ones got super dark and were gross.
"Fried" Onion Rings (WW recipe)

3 spray(s) olive oil cooking spray   
1/4 cup(s) all-purpose flour   
1/4 tsp garlic powder   
1/8 tsp dry mustard   (didn't have this)
1/4 tsp table salt     
2 large onion(s), Spanish, sliced into 1/4-inch-thick rounds and separated into rings   
1/2 cup(s) buttermilk    (Didn’t have in the house, so I made my own: 1TBSP vinegar into a measuring cup. Add milk (I used skim) until 1 C. Let sit for 5 minutes. Use.)
1 cup(s) seasoned bread crumbs   (I used ½ C panko & ½ C seasoned bread crumbs)


Preheat oven to 400ºF. Coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray.

In a large bowl, combine flour, garlic powder, dry mustard and salt. Add onions and toss to coat.

Pour buttermilk into another large bowl, add onions and toss to coat (use your hands for the best result).

Place bread crumbs in another large bowl, add onions and toss to coat. Transfer onions to prepared baking sheet and spray with cooking spray.

Bake until golden brown, about 35 minutes. Serve hot. Yields about 1/2 an onion per serving.

Flavor Booster: Give onion rings more crunch and fiber by using homemade multi-grain bread crumbs. Place 2 slices of toasted multi-grain bread in a food processor or blender and mince using on/off pulses.

4 servings 6pts+/serving

**There was a great amount of extra coating. I only used 1 onion because I was nervous that these weren't going to go over well in my mouth.  I was totally right.Yuk.  L said that "they aren't too bad."  Yeah. 



2 comments:

  1. Totally not WW friendly, but I have a kick-ass recipe for onion rings from Test Kithen. Oooh tasty stuff in the deep frier :) We have a deep frier--hell yeah, Wisconsin :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am sure they are dangerous!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love when people comment!!! Good, bad, or even ugly--feel free to leave a comment and I will do my best to respond!