08 February 2011

LENTILS!

I have been cruising along with my goals this month--I think because I actually have at least 18 people who will hold me accountable for them.  YAY BLOG READERS! I SUPER-HEART YOU!!!
Here is what I made today after the gym that cooked during my nap, and let me say this now--I will actually be using lentils more--they aren't as scary as I thought!!
Done!


Sloppy Veggie Sandwiches (Slow-Cooker) (Or, as I call it: Veggie Sandwich Innards)
Source: BHG-Biggest Book of Slow Cooker Recipes

1 cup chopped carrots

1 cup chopped celery
2/3 cup brown lentils (I used 1/3 C red & 1/3 C green--it was what I had)
2/3 cup brown and wild rice (I didn't have rice, but I did have red quinoa! Used that instead!)
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 clove garlic -- minced
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
28 ounces low sodium vegetable broth (I used low-sodium chicken broth)
15 ounces tomato sauce
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar

Combine carrots through broth in a 3 1/2 to 4 quart slow cooker. Cover and cook on high heat for 3 to 3 1/2 hours or until rice and lentils are done. Stir in tomato sauce and vinegar; cover and cook another 30 minutes.

To serve, spoon over toasted buns or rolls.


Close up of the lentil-y, quinoa-y goodness!
8 servings 1 C/serving 3pts+/serving.  (This is without bread!)


You stay classy there Sunshine!
I really liked this dish. YUM! I liked the quinoa, I liked the flavor, I liked the texture.  And it was filling, warm, and delicious.  I ate it with a hot dog bun (3pts+), and it was DELICIOUS!!!
**Do not be alarmed by the initial smell. I was really concerned because it smelled like baked beans (which I am NOT a fan of), but the taste is not even close to baked beans.  More tomato-y/vegetable-y.  

1 comment:

  1. What a great recipe...I love the sub of the quinoa. I bet it turned out even better than with the rice! I need to try this one.

    ReplyDelete

I love when people comment!!! Good, bad, or even ugly--feel free to leave a comment and I will do my best to respond!