09 February 2011

Buttermilk Waffles: or, breakfast for any meal of the day!

I need to stop reading Stephanie's blog because her pictures and meal ideas seem to coincide with what I am in the mood for.  Today was no exception.  If I could, I would probably eat breakfast for every meal of the day every day.  Then again, that is part of why I am overweight!!!!  I have realized that I do better when I do not deprive myself of food I want, so my life has become more focused on moderation. 

The layout...
On to the waffles...

L and I have the best waffle iron ever--a Belgian Waffle iron that is a breeze to use and clean up.

My mom makes  waffles in her regular waffle iron and the smell and taste of these reminds me so much of home it is astounding.
My meal.  Yup. Ate it by hand.  Inhaled it, but nobody is perfect!

I used my trusty old-school (pretty pathetic and falling apart) Betty Crocker and tweaked the recipe just a bit to help with points, but I could have left out more butter I think--I was just too nervous to make too big of an adjustment.

Buttermilk Waffles
2 eggs (I used 1 egg and 2 egg whites)
2 C Buttermilk (I made homemade--2 TBSP + rest skim milk, sit for 10 minutes)
2 C flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt (I used kosher)
1/4 C + 2 TBSP Shortening (I used 5 TBSP Butter)

Beat eggs.
Add rest of ingredients and mix until smooth.
Put in waffle iron.

8 full waffles 6pts+/waffle


I froze the remaining waffles so when the craving arrives again, I can toast them.  YAY!

SO GOOD!!!

1 comment:

  1. That looks SO good. I'm craving breakfast like crazy lately.

    ReplyDelete

I love when people comment!!! Good, bad, or even ugly--feel free to leave a comment and I will do my best to respond!