22 April 2011

South African Pumpkin Fritters

Thanks WW for this recipe. I am a cooking FREAK today.  This was totally not planned, but we are severely  lacking in the provisions here (no major grocery shopping has taken place in over a week), but I had these ingredients.  I noticed this recipe yesterday, and planned on making it eventually, but today turned out to be the day!

South African Pumpkin Fritters
(recipe adapted from Weight Watchers)
1/2 C flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
shake or more of cloves
15 oz canned pumpkin
2 large eggs, separated
cooking spray
1 TBSP olive oil (divided)

Sift together flour, baking powder, salt, Cinnamon, and cloves in a small bowl.
In a large bowl, combine pumpkin with egg yolks and mix until well-combined. *Don't do what I did, and let your mental capacity take a vacation. I am so used to separating eggs and putting the yolk down the garbage disposal, I had to crack another egg for loss of a yolk. :(
Whip egg whites until soft peaks form in a separate small bowl.
Add flour mixture and egg whites to pumpkin mixture alternating in batches, and stirring after each addition.
Coat a large skillet with cooking spray.  Set over med/low heat.
Add 1 TSP oil, heat until oil shimmers (I have no idea WTF that means, but whatev).
Drop spoonfuls onto the skillet. *This is where things get tricky.  WW says make four 3" fritters, but there was NO way--especially after the reviews I read about cooking time issues.  So I made mine smaller.  
Cook until done. *Yeah, have fun with this.  WW says cook until bubbles tart to form along sides 1 1/2 min-2 min.  That is FAR from accurate.  Even after both sides were golden brown, I could squish the fritter and doughy ooze would emit from the fritter.  Doughy ooze=raw=grouchy me waiting for lunch.  I tried to practice patience, but seriously?  The dough kept sticking to the spatula, the ooze wouldn't stop, and the oil went away and quasi-stickyness resulted. 
Repeat steps until all batter is gone. 
Eat. 

18 fritters (that I made--feel free to make more or less as to your desire!) 1pt+/fritter.

I ate mine plain with salt (4 fritters),  they were savory and filling, and really good.  I was just frustrated with the process that they still felt semi-raw, but maybe that is how they are supposed to be?  I am going to try to make these again at some point and use even less batter per fritter to see if that changes cooking issues. Many people put syrup on their fritters or powdered sugar, but I don't like to blow points unless I have to!!!  

If anyone has any suggestions as to the ooze/cooking time issue, could you help a lady out here?  TXKBI

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love when people comment!!! Good, bad, or even ugly--feel free to leave a comment and I will do my best to respond!