04 April 2011

Homemade Mac-N-Cheese (almost like my mom's)

I wasn't going to post this, but I sent a picture to a friend and her immediate response was "It's not on your blog yet!"  So, here it is. 

Just out of the oven.
Things have been wonky in my neck of the woods as of late.  L has been traveling and gone, I had mini-camp (practice every night of the week!) last week, and grocery shopping/eating right hasn't been on the top of the priority list.  I was craving mac-n-cheese, and I knew we had cheese and some version of noodles, and thought I could make some like my mom used to make.  I had to tweak good ole' Betty Crocker due to lack of appropriate ingredients, so feel free to check her out on your own for your own version. 

Old-Fashioned Macaroni and Cheese
adapted from my ancient Betty Crocker pgs. 342 & 566
2 C salad noodles (this was supposed to be elbow mac, but we didn't have any.  These were fun though!)
1 tsp. salt
fresh ground pepper
3 cups cheese:
Sharp White Cheddar (1 1/2 C)
Mild Cheddar (1+ C)
1/4 C Blue Cheese Crumbles
thin white sauce*
1 TBSP butter

Heat oven to 375. Cook noodles as directions indicate.  Place half the macaroni in ungreased 2-quart casserole dish. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and cheese, repeat.  Pour white sauce over casserole.  Dot with butter. Cover with foil. Bake 30 minutes. Uncover. Bake 15 more minutes.


*Thin white sauce:
Please note--I didn't have enough milk, so I had to sub 1/4 C of half/half (don't tell L!) and only had 1 1/2 C of this sauce--not the two it called for.
For each C sauce:
1 TBSP butter
1/2 - 1 TBSP flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
1 C milk

Melt butter in saucepan over low heat. Blend in flour, salt and pepper.  Cook over low heat, stirring until mixture is smooth and bubbly.  Remove from heat. Stir in milk. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute.  

On its way to MY BELLY!!!
Cheesey goodness. I'd leave out the butter (at least some of it) next time around.  And I wish I had a 2 Q round casserole dish...a flat dish isn't the same!

2 comments:

  1. oh, deliciousness!! comfort food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh... this looks so good! Bleu cheese makes anything better, and I'm drooling thinking about what it can do to mac and cheese.

    ReplyDelete

I love when people comment!!! Good, bad, or even ugly--feel free to leave a comment and I will do my best to respond!