09 March 2011

Beth's (but first the NY Times) Beans that will Change Your Life

Beth's talk about these beans made me want to try them myself.  I NEVER would have thought I would make beans in this kind of process.  I am VERY glad that I tried something out of my comfort zone. I am not going to be afraid of soaking beans and the preparation they take.  The process is worth it. 
These beans are filling, and while I have only tried them in tortillas with cheese and mushrooms, I know that they would work in MANY other ways. 

Black Beans of Awesomeness

Pre-soaking. Notice the green lentils? Hazards of buying from the bulk bin .
From The New York Times:

1 pound black beans, washed and picked over for stones
2 quarts water
1 tablespoon canola oil or extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
4 large garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup chopped cilantro, plus additional for garnish if desired
Salt, preferably kosher salt, to taste

Directions
1. Soak the beans in the water for at least six hours. If they will be soaking for a long time in warm weather, put them in the refrigerator.
2. Heat the oil over medium heat in a large, heavy soup pot or Dutch oven, and add the onion. Cook, stirring, until it begins to soften, about three minutes. Add half the garlic. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, about one minute. Add the beans and soaking water. The beans should be covered by at least an inch of water. Add more as necessary, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, and skim off any foam that rises. Cover and simmer one hour.
3. Add the salt, remaining garlic and cilantro. Continue to simmer another hour, until the beans are quite soft and the broth is thick and fragrant. Taste. Is there enough salt? Does it need more garlic? Add if necessary. Let sit overnight in the refrigerator for the best flavor.

After cooking.  YUM.


I haven't figured out exactly how many servings this gets, but a rough estimate is 6 cups.   If you use 1 cup as a serving it comes to 7pts+/ cup.  1/2 C serving size would decrease the pts+ value.  Either way, I can't eat a whole cup in one sitting--SUPER filling. 

1 comment:

  1. Wow yes, they do sound amazing. I have done my beans by soaking before but for now I have gone back to the BPA free organic cans because of the time savings.

    ReplyDelete

I love when people comment!!! Good, bad, or even ugly--feel free to leave a comment and I will do my best to respond!