29 September 2010

Crock Pot Awesomeness (my title, Krista's idea)

Dear Krista,

I super-heart you times ten. 

While my version turned out slightly different, this meal was awesome, hearty, and super-perfect for a chilly fall evening/morning!
AND...my sister liked it too!! (not a minor feat let me tell you!)

Here is Krista's version:  check it out!

And here is mine:
YUM
Crock Pot Awesomeness
2 Honeycrisp Apples cut up (these were pretty big apples--grown in WI too!!)
2 Sweet potatoes scrubbed and cut up
1 yellow onion cut up
6 whole cloves of garlic
4 boneless skinless chicken thighs
4 drumsticks (they still had the bones and skin)  (*I was really looking for white meat since my sister doesn't like dark meat, but I wound up buying this chicken because it was from local free-range chicken farms that don't use artificial anything. While expensive for my limited budget at the moment, the extra money spent really is worth it to me--especially after watching Food Inc.)
Cinnamon (GENEROUS amount shaken all over the different "layers")
Put all components into crock pot (I pretty much STUFFED the crock pot to maximum capacity), layering the different ingredients with shakes of cinnamon.
I put the dish in the refrigerator overnight (I prepped all of this the night before), took it out before I left the house in the morning (at 6:25 am), and my sister had some when I got home at 6:45 pm and it was PERFECT.  The meat fell apart, and the flavor was incredible.  Hearty, sweet (but not too sweet), and a little savory all in one.  YUM.
Mine reminds me of a stew--much more liquidy than I anticipated (thank goodness I didn't add any liquid!! Thanks Krista!), but totally forkable.
And beyond easy.

My sister estimated we will get about 10 servings from what I made.
10 servings=3pts. per serving.  FRIGGEN AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. I am SO making this next weekend! Delish! I already have the honeycrisps in the freezer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea! I'm so glad you and your sister had a lovely meal (plus tons of left overs!). The crock pot is really a time saving Goddess of an appliance.

    ReplyDelete

I love when people comment!!! Good, bad, or even ugly--feel free to leave a comment and I will do my best to respond!