26 July 2010

Spinach, Caramelized Onion, and Tomato Quiche


Holy cluster-eff... DANG. This was a MESS. It turned out tasty, but still stressful for me!! L bought this pizza dough that wasn't in a tube, and since I could tell at that point of the grocery shopping experience he was FED UP, I didn't mention that it might not be the right kind. Little did I know that I would have to use it right away. He reminded me of this yesterday, and I was like, uh, I just made an egg-y type dish. And he doesn't eat eggs, so all the individual portions have to be eaten by me. ARGH.

2 teaspoons olive oil, extra-virgin
3 medium onion(s), chopped (I didn't have 3 onions. I had 1/2 of an onion.)
2 medium garlic clove(s), minced (I used 4--I love garlic!)
1 teaspoon sugar (left this completely out!)
10 ounces chopped frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry (really needed to squeeze it more than I did.)
10 ounces pizza dough, refrigerated (almost too much)
¾ cup(s) fat-free evaporated milk (did I have evaporated milk? Nope. I used 1/4 c nearly spoiled whole milk, and 1/2 c skim milk)
2 large egg(s), lightly beaten
¼ cup(s) light sour cream
1 large egg white(s), lightly beaten
⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg (left this completely out!)
⅛ teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
½ cup(s) shredded reduced-fat Monterrey Jack cheese
12 med cherry tomatoes, halved (I didn't have cherry tomatoes, so I sliced up two Roma tomatoes)
(*My special additions--one full package of sliced white mushrooms cooked with the spinach and onions and green onions (only the green part, added at the tomato step.)

Instructions
•Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Swirl in the oil, then add the onions, garlic, and sugar. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are lightly golden, about 8 minutes. Add the spinach and cook 2 minutes longer; remove from the heat and let cool 10 minutes.
•Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Spray a 9-inch pie plate with nonstick spray.
•Place the dough on a lightly floured work surface and shape it into a 4-inch circle. Cover lightly with plastic wrap and let rest 10 minutes. Roll the dough into an 11-inch circle; fit the dough into the pie plate, and flute the edges.
•Combine the milk, eggs, sour cream, egg white, salt, nutmeg, and pepper in a medium bowl. Sprinkle the cheese over the bottom of the pie crust. Top evenly with the spinach mixture, then pour in the egg mixture. Arrange the tomato halves, cut-side up, on top of the quiche, in a circular pattern. Place on a baking sheet and bake until quiche is just set, about 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and let stand 10 minutes before cutting. Serve immediately or at room temperature. Yields 1/6 of quiche per serving.

~6 points per slice if one follows the recipe (without my additions--I still need to figure that out.)



Lessons I learned:
Read the recipe, and then re-read it. Make sure ALL needed ingredients are present.
Be careful--mushrooms make it watery--I don't mind it, but if you are expecting a more firm dish, don't add the mushrooms.
Tastes good. I am full after one slice (nice sized slices). No, the crust isn't buttery flaky delicious---but also, that kind of crust probably would add at least 14 points. I enjoyed eating this, and I feel like I got a good portion of veggies in this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love when people comment!!! Good, bad, or even ugly--feel free to leave a comment and I will do my best to respond!