03 October 2010

How I grieve...Part I: Acorn Squash and Cheddar Garlic Biscuits

Honey (top) & Maple Syrup (bottom)

I'm not going to lie, my gramma LOVED to eat.  She loved food, and loved to bake.  She was definitely a food pusher, all the way up to the end, and I know that my portion control/lack of ability to recognize fullness comes from her.  She always let us know that we were welcome to eat ANYTHING we wanted to when we were visiting, and even when I would explain that I had joined WW and was trying to be careful with what I ate, she still offered me bites of her dessert (and meal) when I'd sit with her as she ate to help her.  
Last night, after spending the day with her, I went for a LONG jog/walk.  Today, when I got back after she passed, I started these two recipes in order to fight the urge to get in my car and drive to Culvers and then Belts (an amazing ice cream local joint).  


I've never had acorn squash.  I've also only made pancakes with Bisquick. But I needed to do something, because going to bed at 4:30 in the afternoon just isn't a good solution. 


(**Note after eating.  Dear Acorn Squash, I love you.  A great deal.  YUM!)
Acorn Squash
Pre heat oven to 375 - 400 degrees F.
Scoop the seeds out of each half with a spoon
1 Tbsp. butter
1 tsp. honey (on one half)
1 tsp. maple syrup (on the other half)
1 tsp. brown sugar--each half
salt and pepper
Place upright on a greased cookie sheet and roast for about 1 hour or until tender when flesh is poked with a fork. (I used a glass bread tin)
Each half = 3 pts. each

Pre-oven
Cheddar-Garlic Biscuits (recipe halved as per the Bisquick box)
Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
Post-oven.
1 c reduced fat Bisquick
1/3 c skim milk
1/4 c shredded reduced fat cheddar cheese
garlic powder
minced garlic (my addition--I super-heart garlic)
Bake 8-10 minutes (recipe suggested on a cookie sheet, but I used a muffin tin)
6 biscuits: 2 pts. each
My dinner! I ate the Maple Syrup one--YUM!!

Dessert= Moonstruck Chocolate Pumpkin Pie Truffle.  OMG. TO. DIE. FOR.  YUM.  Totally worth 2 points!!!
The biscuit was a little dry, but really, they hit the spot, and for two points, I'm not complaining. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love when people comment!!! Good, bad, or even ugly--feel free to leave a comment and I will do my best to respond!