Snickerdoodle Cupcakes (24 cupcakes)
- 1 1/2 C granulated sugar, divided
- 1/2 C boiling water
- 2 eggs, separated
- 2 1/4 C all-purpose flour
- 1 T baking powder
- 1 t salt
- 1/2 C (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1 t vanilla
- 1 C milk
- Heat 1/2 C sugar in heavy 8-inch skillet over medium heat, stirring constantly, until sugar is melted and golden brown.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Gradually add boiling water into sugar mixture; continue cooking until sugar is dissolved, stirring constantly. You need to stir really quickly here to keep the sugar from glomming up.
- Beat egg whites in medium bowl at medium speed with electric mixer until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add 1/2 C granulated sugar, beating at high speed until stiff peaks form; set aside.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt in medium bowl; set aside.
- Beat butter and remaining 1/2 C sugar in large bowl until light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg yolks and vanilla extract.
- Gradually add sugar syrup, mixing until well blended.
- Add dry ingredients to butter mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.
- Fold in egg white mixture.
- Fill cupcake liners halfway full.
- 375 F for 20 minutes--Too long, they were overcooked. (I didn't do the cookie baked in like the original poster did, but I might try that next time.)
Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/4 C (half stick) butter, room temperature
- 1 t vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon (add more to taste)
- 2-3 C powdered sugar (add more or less to make it a stiffness that you like)
- Mix cream cheese and butter well.
- Add vanilla and cinnamon.
- Add powdered sugar.
I know, I know. I am getting back on the wagon tomorrow with my weigh-in day. I am tired of the gaining of the weight. Company was coming for dinner, so I wanted to try a new recipe. Yum.